Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Singing and Dancing and Finding the Music Again



I'm a child of the 70's! I rocked Sesame Street fever, "doing the Pigeon everyday!", shaking my beak along with Bert and Bernice. The sea of orange Shag carpet was my dance floor, my disco ball, a flashlight my mother shook (often from behind a chair! Bless her Heart!). Mickey Mouse Disco and Meco Wizard of Oz, also had the effect of sending my 8 year old self spinning madly across the floor. Those were the days, when it was all about a Macho duck and there was that great song about YMCA camp. I just couldn't understand when it wasn't like they promised in the song!

In college I came to own a pair of white high heeled clogs that had the ability to magically transport me back to the 70's. Do you have any shoes like that? Shoes that take you somewhere? I wish I had kept them for posterity, and for when I am feeling too old for my own good.

The other night I watched Mamma Mia, for the first time. I know, I am way behind, right? Of course it was silly, or course it was ridiculous, and I kept wondering if Meryl Streep was maybe a little too old in that role, BUT, the way it made me feel! ALIVE! Alone in the living room, my family in bed, I found myself dancing into kitchen for a drink, and days later I am still singing! If only I could remember the words!


Sometimes in this serious world, we completely loose track of our younger selves. It becomes all about the day, getting work done, straitening the house, getting the homework done and wrestling the kids into bed. Sometimes we loose the music for a while. So find your shoes, that special pair that takes you somewhere, turn up the music that made you sing, and dance a little. Nobody's watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment